A Daddy's Girl Remembers



I had just arrived at work following a long holiday week-end.   In my mind, I was going through a checklist of all the things that needed to be done that day.  I made the coffee, turned on the copier, and prepared my breakfast of yogurt and fresh fruit.  At the instant I sat down in front of my computer, the telephone rang.  As cheerfully as I could muster after coming back from a 3-day week-end, I answered the phone.  It was my Mama.  She said just three words, “Your Daddy’s gone.”   Those words went deep into the pit of my soul and left me gasping for breath with a broken heart.  The rest of the conversation escapes my memory… all I remember saying is “I’m on my way… I’m coming”.  As I ran out the door, I called Bro. Barry and told him, “My Daddy died!  I have to go!  I’m locking the door!”  God must have driven my car for me because I was too busy screaming at HIM, asking Him how I was supposed to live without my Daddy.  I called Jesse and Benjamin and told them to meet me at Mama’s and Daddy’s house.  I think I called a friend and asked her to pray
When I got to Mama’s house, she was out in the yard with our pastor, Bro. James.  I hugged my Mama hard and asked if Daddy was still in the house.  He was.  I went inside and knelt beside the body that had housed my Daddy’s sweet spirit for almost 81 years.  I held his hand, kissed his forehead, and told him “good-bye”.
These are the memories that have been running around in my head since Daddy went to heaven.  They will never go away.  But, there are other memories too.  Ones from 54 years of being a Daddy’s girl who knew beyond any doubt that my Daddy loved me with his whole precious heart.  I would like to share some of these memories so the world can know how very blessed by God I was to be able to call William Lawton Kendrick my Daddy.
·        I remember thinking my Mama’s name was “Sweetheart” because it is all I ever heard my Daddy call her when I was little.

·        I remember my Daddy getting me and Melanie ready for church on Sunday mornings, so Mama could get ready without feeling rushed.

·        I remember snuggling up next to Daddy during “big church” on Sundays.

·        I remember Daddy taking us to the zoo when he worked there.  We got to “help” him get food ready for the monkeys.  One time we got to hold a newborn leopard cub.  He would bring us porcupine quills and peacock feathers to “make-believe” with.
 
·        I remember the tremendous feeling of relief I felt when I saw my Daddy arrive to get us after we had been involved in a car accident.  His presence dispelled all of my fear.

·        I remember my Daddy and Mama going by to pick up widow ladies and bringing them to church.  Daddy also did any kind of work around these ladies’ houses that they needed help with.

·        I remember the look of absolute awe-struck pride on my Daddy’s face when David was born.  David became Daddy’s little shadow.  They called each other “Buddy” for the longest time.  

·        I remember the day I graduated from Judson, Daddy made his way to the back door as we were marching out so he would be there to give me a kiss on my way out.

·        I remember how proud Daddy was to become a grandparent.  I can still see the love in his eyes as he first held Michaelann, his first grandchild. 

·        I remember the sly smile on Daddy’s face when I asked him if he would give me away at my wedding.  He said, “I’ve been waiting a looong time to do that!”

·        I remember Daddy praying for Ken and me before he walked me down the aisle on my wedding day.  He asked God to bless our home and our marriage.

·        I remember, after Jesse was born, how Daddy’s whole face lit up when I asked him to come in and meet his new grandson.

·        I remember how lovingly and tenderly Daddy helped Mama care for my Granny in the last years of her life.  He and Granny loved each other as if they were mother and son instead of in-laws.

·        I remember that Daddy called Jesse and Benjamin “Buddy” too, and how he enjoyed watching them play when we would visit.

·        I remember Daddy asking me to get a special surprise for him to present to Mama on their 50th wedding anniversary when they renewed their vows.  He arranged for a love song to be sung as he gave it to her.

·        I remember Daddy rearranging his plans and spending the night with me at the hospital following one of Ken’s surgeries because he didn’t want me to stay up there by myself and Mama was at home with Jesse and Benjamin.

·        I remember Daddy holding my hand as we walked into the church for Ken’s funeral and keeping me safe in the shelter of his arm during the service.
 
·        I remember Daddy doing my yard work and fixing things around my house after we moved to Ashville, not because I asked him to, but just because he loved me and it needed doing.

·        I remember Daddy’s growling game that he played with Kaileigh (youngest grandchild).  Even over the phone, Kaileigh would say, “tell Granddad I said, GGGRRRRRR!” and he would always growl back.

·        I remember after Daddy’s stroke, when he was so agitated and upset from not being able to form the words he wanted to say, I would rub my thumb between his eyes down the bridge of his nose.  It was a gesture I had used to comfort Jesse and Benjamin when they were babies.  Just as it had comforted my sons, it also comforted and calmed my precious Daddy.

·        I remember that Daddy’s dry wit returned and was as keen as ever after his stroke, but his memory was never the same.  He was so good at covering his memory loss with his wit, that most people never realized how profoundly affected he was by the stroke.

·        I remember how Daddy loved to watch Emily and Rain, his great-granddaughters play.  Emily tended to be a little shy with him, but Rain always had to go into Daddy’s room and visit with her “Dad-Dad”.   

·        I remember that Daddy would sometimes pester Mama and then smile when she fussed at him.  But he said he knew how much she loved him and that she took such good care of him. He would pat her three times and say, “You know what that means?  It means I love you”.

·        I remember when Jesse or Benjamin would be giving me grief, as knucklehead sons are prone to do, Daddy would quietly, but sternly tell them, “You ought to do what your Mama says”.

·        I remember the Sunday before Daddy died, he waited at the end of the pew until I came out.  He gave me a kiss and said, “I love you, honey”.  I said, “I love you too, Daddy”.  Those are the last words I can remember us saying to each other.
There are so many more memories… too many, really, to count.  I guess what I will remember most is that my Daddy was an awesome, godly man, a loving and tender husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather.  He was what God intended all fathers to be.  How blessed I was to be his child. 

           
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment