Second Bone Scan

Ken’s second bone scan was October 18, 2004. Its purpose was to see how the chemo had affected the cancer and to help us decide whether or not to continue the treatments. Ken was much weaker for this scan than he had been for the first one.

The scan lasted longer than last time. Don’t know why. Ken felt so bad – there was no way he was up to going for lunch while we waited for the dye to work its way through his bloodstream. Thankfully, they had a stretcher they let him lay on while we waited. About the time they finished up with him, Jesse called with a headache, wanting to come home. Then Benjamin came in from school all puny, complaining of all kinds of aches and pains too. Here we go...

Didn’t let anyone talk to Ken on the phone this afternoon – not even his Mama. He was just so exhausted and in so much pain.

When I got up this morning, Ken told me he doesn’t think he’s going to make it. I didn’t know what to say. It is so sad – my heart is breaking. I want to comfort him, but I’m not sure how. Words don’t work – they get stuck in my throat.
(Melinda’s Journal, October 18, 2004)

Tomorrow we see Dr. Schlabach to see what’s next. I’m afraid to find out. Ken has been through so much – his poor body can’t take much more. Ken's dad is going to bring the hospital bed back over. Jan said we could use her wheelchair. Mama is bringing the shower seat and bedside commode. Things I never ever wanted to have in my house. It makes me so sad. (Melinda’s Journal, October 19, 2004)

The scan was unchanged. No better, no worse. But the pain is an indication that the cancer is progressing. Dr. S. gave Ken the choice of whether or not to continue chemo but said that the chemo could be doing as much harm as good at this point. Said there was fluid in Ken’s chest cavity – could be caused by the chemo or the cancer. We decided to stop the chemo for a month to see if that will clear up. The Dr. gave us a prescription for stronger pain meds and more Lortab. Ken won’t be getting better this time unless God sends another miracle. So discouraged... (Melinda’s Journal, October 21, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment